“Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns;
I am thankful that thorns have roses.” – Unknown
There are always two ways to frame our perspectives on life, yet we often take the roses-have-thorns point of view. What if we chose a different mindset?
- Choosing to be thankful for our jobs, even if we arrive there following a long, bumper-to-bumper commute.
- Choosing to be thankful for problem teammates. They afford us the opportunity to impact them in a positive way.
- Choosing to be thankful for those high-maintenance clients; it is their business that helps keep us employed.
- Choosing to be thankful for a sink full of dirty dishes. It means our family is well fed.
- Choosing to be thankful for a messy house; even our most modest of homes would be considered luxurious in much of the world.
- Choosing to be thankful for our democracy. Even if we didn’t vote for all the individuals in office, at least we have the freedom to vote.
- Choosing to be thankful for tough times; those are the moments that prepare us for something bigger.
Real Thanksgiving isn’t an event, a meal, or a feeling. It’s a choice we make each moment of the day. How will you choose to be thankful?